Mold found during a home inspection in Birmingham

Recently, while performing a home inspection in Birmingham. I located several microbial growths. The growths were probably mold and the home buyers were very concerned about the possible health concerns. This is a brief overview on health concerns from mold.

Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing.  Molds have the potential to cause health problems.  Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants and, in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins).  Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.  Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis).  Allergic reactions to mold are common.  They can be immediate or delayed.  Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold.  In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people.  Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold.  Research on mold and health effects is ongoing. For more detailed information, consult a health professional.  You may also wish to consult your state or local health department. If mold is found during your home inspection, contact a specialist to perform the necassary testing and remediation.

Submitted by BobbyMichael on Thu, 01/21/2010 - 04:54.
Syndicate content